Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Actions Speak Louder Than Couches

And by that, I mean that getting out of the house is much preferred to sitting on the sofa looking for jobs, housing and a cowboy online. I guess I need to go to a rodeo for that last one.

Anyway, after our exiting trip to Xi'an a couple of weeks ago, things have been pretty slow. I finally got out and about this past weekend to take some photos and pretend I have a life so that I can share that with you all.

I generally go for a walk everyday, unless I'm feeling especially lazy. (which is often, like today)
This was..hmm..Friday night? Thursday? I don't know anymore..
I need an assistant. To help me keep track of what day it is. Or a butler.
Right...the point is, our apartment is right on the sea, and when its clear out, the views are pretty nice.



Turned into a spectacular sunset.



Saturday (when we're in town) Dad and I go to a cooking class at a language school.
Its interesting.
This Saturday we made Bitter Melon Soup with Pork Ribs and something with potato noodles and cabbage (in the background). I love how simple some Chinese food is (the stuff they teach us is pretty easy).



Lion pastry.
I didn't make this.
It was in a bread shop.
RAWR.



Then we went to the produce market.
I love markets.
I love market pictures.



Oh lordy....this one is super ugly.
But awesomely so.





Silk worm pupae.
Live.
For stir fry.
I thought they were nuts at first.
Til they wiggled.



Ah...something identifiable.
and not wriggling.





End of Saturday.

Sunday we drove out to Bingyugou, which is hard to explain.
Its a geological preserve- basically there's a lot of cool rock formations surrounded by water.
Its very picturesque.
More so because the tourist season is about over and there was a general lack of the stereotypical hordes of people.

These were some wedding pictures being taken.
Wedding photos are really popular here.



Here's my feet.
On a boat.
I like to share these things with you.



You get off the boat and get to wander around, while people give you misleading directions in Chinese.
Its interesting.



There are trails that lead to other boats, and random touristy things to do, like archery and a water slide, which were closed up.



But it was real purty.


Here's mom suited up against the giant orange bee that was invading our lunch territory.
In her defense, the thing was massive.
And orange. Radioactive orange.



Here's my majestic picture of the day.
That's right, Arc'teryx, you should pay me to fly around the world and look this majestic in your jackets. Which should be complimentary.




I shore love rocks.


Did I mention it was purty there?


More rocks.
I just get all starry eyed over geological formations.
I cant help it.
I think its genetic.



Ahhhhhh! Picturesque!


It was fun. Its nice that the weather is finally turning here, although I'm sure I wont be saying that in a month or so. I like sweaters. All the tourists go back to whatever they were doing before they descended like locusts on wherever I happened to be, and things are actually kind of peaceful.

I have to decide if I'm going to try to make it out to Japan while I'm in China. The plane ticket alone is pretty expensive, which is bogus. I can throw a rock and hit Japan from here. I guess I'm being an idiot and I should just do it...Money comes and goes and comes again, opportunity only goes.
Gosh, I'm feeling lyrical today.
Too much Iron and Wine. (my mother says I should let you know that's a band)
In other news (this is for you, Manuel) apparently Paris Hilton has her own brand of canned sparkling wine. (gross). Anyway, Italy is refusing to stock it. The whole country. Yuk yuk yuk.

I'm also amused that when Chinese people take pictures, they say "yi, er, san, quie zi!" (ee, ar, sahn, chee-eh-zu). Its because 'quie zi' sounds like 'cheese' (sort of) but it literally means "one, two, three, eggplant!"

I'm not sure where I'm off to next. Possibly Shanghai, or Japan.
In the meantime, Ill leave you with this excessively attractive picture of myself.
I know, I know. I'm destined for fame.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the info and good for Italy, I think it probably tastes like worn out prostitute (not that I have tastes one, but yeah!)

    either paint your toenails or take the nail polish off, just a thought

    last picture = priceless, its the kind of pic you regret taking later

    p.s. japan should be a no brainer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I just discovered your blog today and I loved looking at the photos. Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one two three eggplant thing is pretty amusing :) GO TO JAPAN. I would kill to go, don't disappoint me now!

    ReplyDelete