Friday, October 9, 2009

Xi'an numero uno

Holy moly faithful blog readers!
(haha)

To all three of you (or so) that so lovingly read my random musings, sorry its been awhile.
Took a trip down to Xi'an (she-ahn) with M and P, plus some other folks over the first week of October. Everyone in the country had a bunch of time off for the National Holiday.
Ive been going on about it for awhile, since Ive been super exited to go climb Huashan.
Which I did.
More about that later.
Go git yerself a map and find out where Xi'an is...somewhere about in the middle.
If you care.

So I took six zillion photos, like I always do.
I sure love my point and shoot.
I will love my DSLR even more.
When I get it...
Ill divide this up into a couple chunks, and try not to talk too much.
It may be hard for me.

Anyway...tally ho!
So we left on October 1st, which National Day..(60th anniversary of the PRC)
There were flags everywhere...
on the taxis, on the buildings, on the people.
It made for some rather picturesque photos.



Here are some snapshots of the city..
Muslim food market.



That's right, dumplings. You steam away over there.
Ill be back for you later.



I might skip the chicken feet though.






This alley looks creepier in the photo than it was.


I love chickens!
Live ones, anyway.
Just...come over here...I just want to squeeze one of you..
Wheres Kirk when you need him?
I need me a country boy to grab me one of them there chickens!



Theres more than one way to build a wall.


There's a mosque in Xi'an.
It pretty much looks Chinese.
I was a little disappointed.
Don't tell anyone.



We rode bikes all along the top of the wall that encircles the old city.
It was good fun.
Certain parts of my body had less fun than others.



Rooftops and apartments.



This was so picturesque it hurt.




On the second day we went to the Terracotta Warriors.
Google it if you have somehow managed to live this much without knowing what that is.
They're pretty neat..
imagine spending 70 years of your life preparing for when you die.

Fun fact-none of these guys were found intact, except one..who isnt in this picture.


Lookie! I made you a pano!
There were, I kid you not, several billion people there.
At least half the country.



Of course, there's also a million people trying to sell you stuff.
Can you believe in this mess of animal parts, there WEREN'T ANY TAILS!
I thought about asking the guy if I could just buy the tail, but that's a little advanced for my Chinese sp far.



Hot springs.
Or so they say.
All I saw were buildings, gardens, and tourists.
Granted, they were lovely buildings and gardens.



Giant noodle bowl.


Cant take all this picturesque.
Someone get me an ice cream or something.



Random dance performance while we were there.
She was lovely.



Ok...so I know I said Chinese men weren't really my thing.
But that's before I saw this guy.
Oh god...the hair. Look at his shiny hair.
The earrings...the bracelets. The expensive camera.
Ignore the expression on his face.
He doesn't know he's being photographed.
Yes, I know that's a little creepy.

Where do I get one of these?



Dinner...local beer.
Tastes just like the light lager swill we drink in Dalian.
No offense, China. You beer is just kinda swill.
We can still be friends, though, right?




Me pretending to eat a giant gold dumpling.
I may need serious dentistry after this.



That's it for part one. I think Huashan deserves its own post, which Ill work on ASAP.
Oh yeah, I ate sea cucumber at the giant dumpling place.
Its supposed to be very good for your skin (women) and your virility (men).
I think Ill pass next time.
Its not as gross as it looks live, but pretty close.

I need more tea tonight before bed.
Movies dubbed into Chinese are hilarious.
Expect me to say 'lawsie mercy' alot more in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment